Tuesday 18 August 2015

Writing My Way to Clearer Thinking

Years ago, when I was very uncertain about where my Life was heading, I used to write in a journal.  Day after day, I would pour my feelings out on its pages and very slowly, but very surely, I began to have greater clarity in my mind and peace in my heart.  There's something about putting thoughts on paper that makes things very clear to me.

A few months ago I found those journals and in reading a few of the pages I saw how far I have come.  I went from a state of utter confusion to a state of complete confidence.  What I realized was that I was most confused when I was led by my own confused mind (but yet I blamed others for confusing me).  It's like I was driving without a map, going nowhere fast.  The Bible encourages us to renew our minds and focus on God, to cast our cares on Him and not worry.  It was by surrendering my worries and fears to God that I increased my confidence and decreased my confusion.  There is a lot I still don't understand, but that doesn't decrease my faith.

I started writing again a few days ago, but the tone has changed.  I question less where my Life is going and affirm more of what I know God has purposed for me.  This process took y-e-a-r-s!  I didn't just wake up one morning and have it all figured out.  I still don't have it all figured out.  What I realized is that I don't have to.  Many of the battles I had been fighting (and losing) weren't mine to fight in the first place. I stopped operating in my own strength and I learned to lean on God, let Him lead me and let Him fight on my behalf.  It's an awesome feeling to know that the One defending me is One who cannot lose!

It may sound silly but I encourage you to take some time and write.  Write your feelings, your thoughts, your dreams and goals.  Get things on paper and see them clearly.  Sometimes there's just too much going on in our heads and it's a helpful release to write it down. It's hard to "read" yourself when you are in the middle of a difficult time, but writing your thoughts down can bring clarity and peace, and direction.

Remember that you have not been given a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind. If you want your Life right, get your mind right.  If you want your mind right, Get your thoughts right.

No comments:

Post a Comment