Monday 8 October 2012

Denim Remix - Jeans to Maxi Skirt


Hi there!

I couldn't sleep on Friday night so I passed two hours of time reconstructing a pair of not-so-favorite jeans.  I bought these jeans when I still had baby weight from my last pregnancy, but they fit so slouchy now, I decided to remix them.

I cut along the inner leg seams, through the crotch, then up to a few inches under the front zipper and about halfway up from the crotch in the back.  I then overlapped the resulting flaps in the front and back and pinned them in place.  I tried the skirt on before sewing to ensure the right fit.

I then took a medium-sized needle and thread and sewed up the back and the front flap.  I used dark blue thread on the main back seam, being careful to overlap the fabric slightly and sew very, very, very, very, very close to the edge for a clean finish.  I wanted an almost invisible seam.  Yes, I HAND-SEWED this!  Yeahhh...I knoowwwww... On the sections that were topstitched in contrasting thread, I used a similar color.
I'm really digging the center split!

The back seam came out nice and smooth :-)

The sections where the fabric overlapped were a bit hard to sew, but I really put my back into it, and with the help of my metal thimble, I was able to get the job done.  I adoorrrre this skirt, and I can't wait to style it.

The jeans were a bit too long for me to begin with, and I didn't hem the skirt, so I can't wear it with flats.  But that's okay - any excuse for heels will do.  LOL!  I have a great pair of wedges I plan to pair with the skirt, and maybe a cute tank top and some BIG hair.

I love remixing pieces from my wardrobe.  It's like shopping, but you're the designer! :-)

Blessings...


------------------------------------------

Find me online:
www.afrotee.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/AfroTeeNaturallyMe
www.twitter.com/Afr0Tee
www.youtube.com/user/AfroTee



2 comments:

  1. HAND-SEWED yuh say inno! WOW!!!

    Great job Tee, got to try this, well maybe not the sewing it by hand part lol. Thx for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah hand-sewed in the middle of the night. LOL! I saw Mimi Goodwin's Jeans Remix YouTube video and I had to try it. Was going to take it to a seamstress, but I was like "I can do this!". Let me know if you try it. Would love to see!

      Delete